Sustain has coordinated several major conferences, forums and summits. We are involved with events on a regular basis throughout the year. In this way we shape and lead the sustainable and healthy food systems conversation in Australia.
Our major events have included the following:
- February 2018 – William Angliss Institute VIC – 2nd national Urban Agriculture Forum featuring an international keynote and more than 60 local and national speakers and presenters, followed by a state and national speaking tour, reaching more than 1000 food system stakeholders in total, and supporting the formation of a statewide Food Futures Alliance in WA being led by Perth NRM
- November 2017 – First Cardinia Food Forum, featuring international keynote speaker Devita Davison of Foodlab Detroit as well as several state and local speakers. Attended by 100 people, this Forum was both a celebration of the wonderful work being done across the Shire as well as a call to action to work together to tackle serious food system challenges
- May 2017 – Melbourne Knowledge Week, Design Sprint for a Sustainable Food System, William Angliss Institute. A whole-day workshop attended by 90 people to explore the issues facing Cardinia Shire Council and co-design solutions
- December 2016 – William Angliss Institute VIC – 21st Symposium of Australian Gastronomy featuring dozens of artisanal agriculture and premium food producers, chefs and food businesses from around Australia and internationally
- November 2016 – University of Melbourne, Burnley VIC – Coordinated the first national Urban Agriculture Forum featuring two international keynote presenters and more than 40 local presenters and panellists, followed by a mini-national speaking tour
- August 2016 – coordinated the inaugural Australian Community Food Hub conference and national speaking tour, with international keynote speakers from the United States and Canada. 13 events involving more than 1500 people with partners including several local governments, universities and TAFEs.
Our upcoming events include the following:
- September 2018 – William Angliss Institute VIC – 2nd national Sustainability Summit in partnership with the Municipal Association of Victoria and the Transition Hub for Australia – a multi-disciplinary four-day event involving national and international keynote speakers and panellists, with a strong focus on sustainable food systems
- October 2018 – William Angliss Institute – 2nd national New Economy Network Australia conference in partnership with the Australian Earth Laws Alliance – this event will attract an estimated 250 people from local and state government, social enterprises, universities and community organisations