Sustain and Executive Director Nick Rose have a long track record of food systems research and analysis. Our reports include the following:
- 2017 – City of Greater Bendigo VIC – Local Food Economy Pilot Study – desktop research and data analysis, surveys and interviews with a broad range of local government, food industry and producer stakeholders to map the scale and impact of Bendigo’s local food economy. The published 60-page report (Jan 2017) included case studies and profiles of a number of businesses, together with recommendations for local and state government
- 2017 – Community Food Hubs – A model for regional Australia? Article published in the peer-reviewed journal Rural Society by Sustain Executive Director Nick Rose
- 2016-2017 – Victorian Local Governance Association VIC – Food Governance Taskforce – facilitated working groups in economic development, planning and health and wellbeing with the participation of staff and managers from 15 local councils to develop a 40-page report detailing the responsibilities, opportunities and recommended actions by local and state government to support the development and expansion of economically prosperous, environmentally sustainable and socially just food systems for Victoria
- 2017 – Sustainable Chefs Report VIC – William Angliss Institute – interviews with 19 leading and emerging chefs to understand opportunities and barriers to integrating more sustainable practices in the Melbourne hospitality sector (commissioned research)
- 2016 – Role of Agribusiness Officers in Local Government in Victoria – in-depth case studies of the role of two rural business / agribusiness officers in Victorian Local Government (City of Whittlesea / Mornington Peninsula Shire Council) – one of whom is now a Board member of Sustain
- 2014 – Churchill Foundation of Australia – Churchill Fellowship Report – investigating innovative models of urban and community agriculture in the US Midwest, Toronto, and Argentina. Included a day spent with the Local Food Unit of the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Food in Guelph, Ontario, to explore the various dimensions and impacts of that province’s Local Food Strategy. 128 page report published via the Churchill Foundation.